Please check this is the correct course for you:
Coastal Skipper is an advanced course for experienced sailors who’ve already spent at least 15 days actively crewing on board a sailing yacht, covering at least 300 nautical miles and including a minimum of 8 hours night sailing. A least 2 of your days of existing experience will also have been as skipper. Your boat-handling, sailing skills and knowledge should already exceed those of Day Skipper level and you should have completed the RYA Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Shore-based course, or at least have the knowledge to that level.
By the end of this course you will have consolidated your existing experience as a skipper and further developed your crew management skills. You should be confident to enter unfamiliar harbours by day and night and navigate more challenging coastal passages in a variety of conditions. Successful candidates will be awarded the Coastal Skipper certificate of competence and will perhaps be considering further developing their skills to become endorsed as a Yachtmaster. Suitable for all ages from 17 upwards. By selecting this course you are confirming that you have already completed the following pre-requisites:
- I’ve spent at least 15 days sailing a yacht as an actively involved crew member
- I’ve sailed at night for 8 or more hours
- I’ve sailed as the skipper, fully in charge on board a sailing yacht, for 2 or more days
- I’ve successfully completed the Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Shore-based course, or at least have the knowledge to that level.
- I’ve discussed my existing experience with Sail Nelson and have been approved to attend the Coastal Skipper course.